iCE40HX1K-EVB is small 5×5 cm development board for Lattice iCE40 FPGAs.
For these who do not know yet, this is the only FPGA which has Open Source tools -> Icestorm which allows you to program iCE40.
Above you can see the preliminary PCB component arrangement. Here is the schematic:
The development board have these features:
- 16Mbit Serial Flash for the FPGA configuration and user data
- SRAM 256K x 16 bit
- two LEDs
- two buttons
- 100Mhz Oscillator
- power supply with DCDC 1.2V/1A and 3.3V/1A
- Male EXT connector with 34 pin containing 24 FPGA signals, 5V, 3.3V, CLK, 2x LEDs
- Programming 10 pin adapter
The purpose of the male right hand 34 pin connector is to allow additional expansion modules to be connected.
The additional modules with have FEMALE 34 pin connector on left hand side and MALE 34 pin connector with all signals on the right hand side, so many modules could stack together.
We work on these modules now:
- 2×5 centimeter fast ADC board with ADC08100 100Msps 8bit ADC, as we will make ADC addressable, many ADCs could stack together to make multi channel fast ADC digital storage oscilloscope
- 2×5 centimeters fast DAC board with THS5641A 100Msps 8bit DAC, also addressable
- 4×5 centimeters board with VGA and PS2 for experimenting with video generation and keyboard inputs
- 2×5 centimeter board with level shifter 1.2-5.5V with adjustable levels 8/16 bit for logic analyzer with wide working levels
- 4×5 centimeter board with buttons, LEDs for user interface
The main board is already uploaded on GitHub
The FPGA programming on original Lattice icestick development board is done with FTDI USB to SPI converter, but we avoid this unreliable company in our designs.
You can run the Icestorm on A20-OLinuxino-MICRO and we preparing patch which to allow iceprog to run on OLinuXino and program the iCE40 via the UEXT connector.
For these who want to use USB programmer we prepare patch for using OLIMEXINO-32U4 (or any other Arduino) as programmer, sure OLIMEXINO is most convenient to be used as programmer as already have UEXT connector which to wire directly to iCE40 10 pin programming port.
EDIT: At TuxCon in July we will have FPGA workshop with this board – we will teach you FPGA basics, how they are programming and first steps with verilog, at the end you will make your own first Verilog program and program it at iCE40HX1K-EVB. We are going to prepare examples how to use the ADC/DAC/VGA/PS2 etc add-on boards.